There are a lot of unknowns in the process of SCI rehab. It seems you just need to try everything and see what sticks. The problem with that is that it takes lots time, money and a little bit of luck.
Luckily, we have synthesized everything that we have learned and observed over the combined past 11 years in SCI recovery to bring you a step-wise approach that works with the body to heal.
Our manual offers an alternative perspective on healing after paralysis through education and movement exploration, which ultimately leads to lasting neurological change.
- Written for both the SCI athlete and the trainer, learn side by side for a collaborative training approach.
- Optimize your current training programs by applying the Framework for Recovery in all that you do.
- Includes over 35 full color exercise photos and descriptions to jumpstart your program.
- Necessary background information on spinal cord injury and how to work with this unique population.
Framework for Recovery (Part II)
Yes, we did say 'step-wise' process. What does that look like?
A - Build awareness through education and exploration - you can't make change if you don't know where you are starting!
C - Create bodily 'connection' through alignment and appropriate movement challenges.
P - Integrate these connections through proper movement patterning and progressions.
S - Strengthen these patterns with loading and repetition.
Programming & Exercises (Part III)
The information presented in Part I and II of the manual should provide you with enough background philosophy and information to program effectively.
However, we've done a little bit of that work for you and included a guide for programming movement sessions and executing exercises. Over 35 exercises presented with full color photos and descriptions, with a system to create infinite variations, will jumpstart your program. Our hope is that these exercise inspire you to explore and create your most effective exercises.
Technical Details & Medical Background (Part IV)
We couldn't write a manual without some technical information about SCI and a note on keeping everyone safe. If you have any qualms about entering this work, we hope to dispel them here, at the end.
Big Opportunities for growth in the SCI rehab effort (Part I)
In the first chapter of the manual, we present five opportunities for growth in the SCI rehabilitation effort.
- Apply movement concepts in programs which train the body how it was designed to be trained.
- Allow athletes to choose their own outcome by using open language.
- Focus on teaching and learning kinesthetic lessons, which are then applied outside the session for lasting change.
- Redefine 'recovery' for what it really means to the individual, instead of societal expectations.
- Encourage athlete ownership of the process and self-sufficiency.
In the remaining chapters, we dive into each of these opportunities, offering our beliefs and readily implementable strategies to improve all of our efforts.